Yup after using this rig at my house for the last few weeks I have found that this radio really shouldn’t have left the warehouse. That being said there are a few good points to this radio.
Here’s the Pro/Con list as I see it.
- RX audio is terrible. Constant static in the background even with transmitter in close proximity.
- Front end of radio is wide open like a barn door. I hear pager blasts from almost 1Mhz up the dial.
- Cannot store PL/CTCSS tones into memory from front panel.
- TX audio has an AGC problem. Audio volume goes up and down/
- No remote head bracket. It wasn’t even in the making when I first spoke to them. They are now adding a bracket so you can remotely mount the head. ( What’s the use of a detachable face…. it’s not a car stereo )
- Beep when setting options is obnoxiously loud. Doesn’t seem to be controllable with volume.
- USB port on side of head for charging cell phone
- RGB settings for color display. Can match it to your cars interior light colors
- 2/5 tone paging capabilities.
If I would have been told that the unit they were sending would have been a “preview” unit with the bugs still in it I don’t think I would have taken it yet. They didn’t seem to want to be up front about that until I started bringing up the issues they had.
Buyer beware they have shipped out a few orders to distributors and people are buying them expecting it to be a final product.
I have been told November 10th will be the release date of the new units.
Will I want to get another…. Maybe. We’ll see….
Just as a comparison… Wouxun is shipping me a new unit to replace the one that is buggy. Anytone wants me to pony up the cash. Replacement of the current unit was not an option.